A humor and art blog consisting of : Art Projects, Original Cartoons, Cigar Box Guitars plus other entertaining Odds & Ends. All content & imagery copyright 2010-2020



Thursday, October 3, 2013

DVD for Death Metal Band


In today's post we will go back about ten years to a project from my days as a graphic art student at our underrated local community college. This DVD cover and disc art was one of my earliest attempts at working with Photoshop. The assignment required us to make a DVD cover for any type of movie we desired as long as it was an original idea. I decided to make mine a cover for a fictitious death metal band with the most inappropriate name I could think of, "Fetal Position".  On the front cover I used a promotional photo of an actual metal band that would not be easily recognizable here in the States. (Mega bonus points if anyone can name the real band. I'll give you a hint; their name begins with an "S".) I made the original band photo look creepy by posterizing the image, and then changing the original colors to a gray scale. It was also fun to make the eyes glow with evil. 




What I really need to do at some point is re-consider the band logo as it is truly a fail. But it was the best I could do back then with my lack of knowledge, and the amount of time I had. The front cover was intentionally understated with the back cover photo being warm and active. My favorite part of this project was creating the song titles which are rather Spinal Tap-ish; and the warping guitar on the disc itself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment